Friday, May 20, 2005

Getting settled...


I have mastered the jetlag! At least I can stay up past 10pm so I think I have... I definitely need to get a car here, but it is not as simple as just going downtown and buy one. I still have a student's budget so I can not spend it all on a car.. For now I can use my uncle's car when he's at work, but it would be better if I had my own. Than I could start at the lab as well. After all I came down here for science. I drove down to the Neurological Science Institute yesterday(picture), to see how long it would take and if I could find it. Turns out it's only a 20 minute drive and although I did not find it right away, it's actually quit easy to find.

Here's an impression of the house I am staying. It's a fantastic place and my family is really nice. I made my grandma's famous tomato soup first the time in my life Wednesday and without being arrogant I think I can say it was pretty good :P My cousin (he's four) already showed me his goggles and told me about the swimming pool so I will probably take him there any time soon. I should also go down to Seattle, Vancouver, Montana, Crater Lake and the Pacific Coast and I haven't even seen Portland properly! Yes, I think I am going to have a fantastic time here! Should hurry getting a car.

Good news from the future-front; I am one of the candidates for a PHD-student position at the functional neurobiology department, where I did my first internship. Although I will only graduate in april and there is enough time to worry about jobs, this crossed my path and it would be a great job! At the moment I only know there are several candidates for the position, but I am one of them. The job will involve electrophysiology in primates and psychophysics in man and the main focus will be on the role of willpower/voluntary control in (visual) perception. It's a High Potential project, a collaboration between the departments of physics and biology. At the moment I am studying the C++ programming language to improve my experimental skills and chances. It will be no problem if I wouldn't get the job, but it would be great if I would!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:25 PM

    damn.. ziet er relaxt uit allemaal..
    ben nu wel een beetje jaloers :)

    tof dat t kick is man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done!!! Your new pad looks swanky too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:28 AM

    He Chris, succes daar in verweggistan. Hier in het (ook heel erg zonovergoten) Holland is ook alles prima. Alles gaat (uiteraard) gewoon zijn gangetje. Balen van jelaptop, maar vasttapen aan de tafel heeft niet zoveel zin natuurlijk. Schaf dan een pc aan. Vriedinnen in je kamer is een ander verhaal. ;)

    Succes en ik lees snel weer wat van je.

    ReplyDelete