Tuesday, May 24, 2005

And then there was sun...


And then there was sun! Yes my dear readers, it stopped raining and with the sun around it's even more beautiful around here. Yesterday, I went by the lab and got introduced to everybody. There is not a lot can do yet, since technicians have to set up my internet connection. Apparently that's kind of a big deal. The complex of the Neurological Science Institute is heavily secured. I wondered why, maybe to protect it from aggressive animal rights activists? Then I noticed that we're in the same building as the Vaccine & Gene Therapy Institute and it started to make some sense. Since everything with even the word 'gene' in it scares the shit out of most people (it was tempting to say 'Americans' but I guess it's more of a worldwide problem) and you don't want any viruses on the loose it seems logical to have security at the complex gate where you drive in and in the building itself. Well I have got my 'visiting researcher' badge so I can get in everywhere now. Unfortunately to get a badge you have to be in the building and to get in the building, strictly speaking, you need a badge. But it all turned out well and now I can go where-ever I want. In a few days my visitors badge will be replaced by an employees badge with my picture on it and I am really 'one of the guys'. I met with Vadim Yakhnitsa today, who is probably going to be the guy I will work with the most, and he showed me the electrophysiology set-up and explained me what they're currently doing with it. He's a really friendly guy, originally from Ukraine, but he worked in Stockholm, Sweden, for a long time and he is in Portland only for five years now, so he knows what I have to deal with being new to the area.

Yesterday evening I helped Angee (my aunt) taking the ceiling out of their old house. They are making some 'cosmetical improvements' before attempting to sell it. Of course taken stuff apart is always fun, men will be boys forever, but pulling out about 1000 staples was less fun. Still, we managed to get the ceiling out in less than two hours which was way faster than we expected.

I got a local cell phone now, so it won't cost me 1,90 euros/minute to make a call anymore. And my attempts to get a car are also in progress. Ian, Angee's brother, will help me out with that, since neither me nor my uncle know a lot about cars or have any experience in buying a used car in the USA. I basically gave him carte blanche within my budget to get me a car that will be mechanically ok. I don't care much for esthetics in this case, it just needs to get me to the lab and take me around Oregon (end maybe some Canada, California or Washington state) and do that for six months without any major problems. I am confident he will manage to get me something nice and I'm very happy he is willing to do this for me.

Maybe I'll have a long weekend this weekend because most labs seem to be closed next Friday. It will probably have something to do with memorial weekend.

Just one more thing, if any of you is interested in what the city and nature looks like around here; check out this site. Some amazingly beautiful pictures!!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:02 AM

    Wouw, het is echt mooi daar!
    Daar zou ik me ook wel een
    half jaar vermaken..
    Veel plezier nog!

    ReplyDelete