Thursday, October 13, 2005

Master thesis planning


Another little step towards graduation was made this week. I managed to find proper supervision for the subject I intend to write a master thesis about. Because of the PhD-project I am starting after graduation (but also out of general interest) I intend to write a thesis on conscious visual perception; "know what you see, see what you know". I want the history of thinking about "consciousness" and give an overview of the neuroscience behind e.g. the difference between awareness and consciousness, the roles of willpower, context and knowledge on perception and more of those things. I want to start at the end of november and finish it in early february.

I am happy with my choice of supervisors and their willingness to cooperate. I asked Prof. Wim van de Grind to be my primary supervisor. Although this professor in functional neurobiology is officially retired since 2001, he is still active at my university. His lectures early in my study Biology, interested me for neurobiology and we all know what happened after that.... He thought it was a fun idea and agreed to supervise me. Over the years Wim van de Grind has written numerous publications under which the books "Naturlijke Intelligentie (Natural Intelligence)" and "Intelligentie in een Notendop (Intelligence in a Nutshell)"

But as mentioned before this professor has officially retired so I needed an other "official" supervisor. Prof. Frans Verstraten, received his PhD in 1994 with Wim van de Grind as his promotor. Today, he's professor
Experimental Psychology and head of the Psychonomics department of my University. He co-wrote the books "Het Brein te Kijk (Looking at the Brain)" and "The Motion After-effect" and makes regular appearances in the popular-scientific TV-show "Hoe?zo! (How?Like that!)". The two professors have also published together in the past, and know each other very well. Frans Verstraten directly agreed to be the official supervisor so I have a subject and I have my supervisors. All I need to do now is fill out another stack of forms to get permission for it. Another step closer to graduation...

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:48 PM

    Inderdaad! Weer een stapje dichter bij het eind van je studie, al moet je er vast nog veel voor doen voor het ècht zo ver is....
    Fijn, dat je dit stukje naar tevredenheid geregeld hebt gekregen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:05 PM

    zal ik ook twee hetzelfde stukje verzenden? ;)
    AK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy Huffman11:04 PM

    I think getting a great supervisors can really affect your journey on grad school, because they can really help make or break you when you’re doing thesis writing. They can be the person you can run to in times of trouble, and it would be good if they can help. Otherwise, they would just drag you down more.

    ReplyDelete