Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Eye coil


Today was the second day of the Helmholtz Course Motor Systems. The day was dedicated to 3d-rotation of the eye, ways to look at it, calculate with it and measure it. I spend some time with a coil in my eye sitting in a cube with two magnetic fields that induced small currents in the coil depending on the position of the coil (and therefore the eye) in the magnetic field. After a couple of minutes the view of the eye with the coil gets blurry and it stays like that for about half an hour after removing the coil. Now (a few hours later) I can see sharp again with the eye but it still feels like something is in it. It'll probably wear off soon...

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:48 PM

    Which part of your body will be next to be examined by scientists to be?
    Why do you allow these people to mess with you? Do you need the results for your own good? Or are you helping out?
    I hope, they´ll not damage you!
    So you can go to the States in one piece! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:10 AM

    dude

    is that your eye?
    that lookes pretty tasty :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. nope not my own eye, just a picture to illustrate the procedure...

    It's part of my training; I need to know how to deal with eye movements in neuroscience research and experiencing it is a great way to remember. No one else in this class wanted to put the coil in his/her eye, I didn't really mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aaargh... thats a nightmare for me right there... summed up in that picture. nooooooooo...

    ReplyDelete