Sunday, January 22, 2006

"You think you know who you are. You have no idea..." [Crash]

Another two weeks have past already. Let me fill you in on my whereabouts of the last two weekends and the small amount of during-the-week-activities, that are worth mentioning. I mostly spend my days reading about visual perception, consciousness and awareness, to suck up all the information I need to write my thesis. Besides this thesis I am finishing the book "the history of thinking" and I attend my philosophy class twice a week. The evenings are mostly filled with work, after all the rent has to be paid and this new Dutch health insurance system means I have to pay more in assurance as well.

Friday (13) I visited the Central Museum in my home-city Utrecht. I did not particularly like the fashion exhibition they had, but I pretty much enjoyed the Rietveld and Bloemaert exhibitions.


The saturday night after this museum visit I visited another piece of the museum's collection. The estate "old Amelisweerd" in the forests just outside of Utrecht, was build in the 18th century and is now a monument, managed by the museum. Sita used to be roommates with a couple; the girl worked for the museum and they were offered to live at the estate for a couple of years. The guy is a photographer that spends half the year in eastern europe photographing typical russian, hongarian etc scenes. These two facts lead to a russian-new-year-party at the estate, which in turn resulted in flat tires for both Sita and me (remember in the middel of the forest). We almost made it home on slowly deflating tires.

This weekend we went to the "cultural cinema" to see Crash. I can recommend this movie to anyone that doesn't necessarily need a lot of special effects and violence. The movie tells a whole bunch of apparent parallel stories of individual people in L.A. In the end all their stories collide. The movie deals with prejudice, racism and miscommunication in a very confronting fashion. Great movie! These are the first lines:

"It's the sense of touch. In any real city, you walk, you know? You brush past people, people bump into you. In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something."

Now that I am telling you what the watch, I might as well advise you all to check out the new System of a Down; Hypnotize. It's weird, it's fast, it's good!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:10 PM

    crash rox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:00 AM

    Heb Crash gezien, kon hem niet goed volgen duss... Slecht! Geef mij maar Films van Sylvester Stallone en andere stoere helden.

    Ferrie

    ReplyDelete