Monday, January 09, 2006

Lagwagon


After seeing a whole bunch of people from Papendrecht on friday night at Steven's party (next door!) I had the saturday off from work. Saturday night I went to Amsterdam to see Lagwagon perform in my favourite Dutch club "Melkweg" (milky way). Hooray for dutch trains; upon arrival at the train station I got notified they were working on the trail between Utrecht and Amsterdam and there would be less trains... Fortunately, I didn't have to wait too long and arrived in Amsterdam reasonably on time. I always like walking through Amsterdam at night, you are guaranteed to run in to some wierdos and I just like the atmosphere. So I walked to the Leidseplein where the Melkweg is. Turned out I was right in time to miss the first support act. The second was pretty cool though. They were called "A Wilhelm Scream" and it was a nice bunch of original hardcore. I am curious how they will sound on record, but live, they were okay.

My brother who was there as well, told me he had read in an interview that Lagwagon intended to play mostly songs of their newest record and ease down on their classics. I am happy to say this was far from the truth. They played a kick ass set with some new songs but almost all classics were played as well. The only song I missed was "Alien8", an old song but one of my favorites and a classic in lagwagon live sets. Alltogether it was a great show.

Lagwagon - Falling Apart
Lagwagon - Mr Coffee

As I walked back to the station the percentage of weirdos and drunks in the streets of Amsterdam had only increased which made it an interesting walk again. Arriving at the station I realized i should have walked a bit faster, 'cause I just missed the last regular train and the first night train (in the altered schedule; are they really working the rails at 1 am?) wasn't due for a good 40 minutes. Too short to go back in town, too long to not freeze your ass off at the station...

Luckily I had foreseen this scenario somewhat and had my bike at the train station in Utrecht, so I was able to get home (the last bus home departs at 1 am), just in time for a couple hours of sleep before I had to get up again and work on sunday. After work I met with Sita for dinner. I had forgotten that the supermarkets are closed on sunday and you have to buy your food earlier. Sita just returned from a week of snowboarding in France and didn't have any food either. So I paid "new china" a visit on my way home. I just don't get why chinese people are so small if those 2-person take-outs are enough to feed approx. 5 people. Weird!

Anyways, it's monday now, back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment